Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Archives

Mr. Roddy looks to ‘create connections’

Jakayla Webb
PA’s new director of curriculum made his first move from classroom teacher to administration this year.

When PA’s new director of curriculum Mr. Roddy was a high school student at Pinkerton Academy, he already knew that he wanted to be a teacher. He said his first big inspiration was a teacher named Mr. Murphy, who taught his freshman American Government class. 

“[Mr. Murphy] told me to pursue something that you find interest and passion in, not just a career that has been chosen for you,’” said Mr. Roddy. 

That was the first time in Mr. Roddy’s academic or personal life that anyone had said that there was room for choice in his future.

In high school, Mr. Roddy described himself “a quiet, studious kid” who never really stood out in the crowded halls. “ I was just a number. A small fish in a very very big ocean,” he said.

Then, while attending Plymouth State University, Mr. Roddy said he started to come out of his shell and become a whole new person. “Plymouth was a fantastic opportunity that really shaped my life,” said Mr. Roddy,  who still stays in contact with many of his college friends and roommates.

At Plymouth State, Mr. Roddy studied history and education, with the goal of one day becoming a social studies teacher. He said his grandfather, who often told stories about his service during WWII, inspired his love for history. 

As a history teacher at numerous New Hampshire middle and high schools, Mr. Roddy taught a variety of courses,  including U.S. History, AP Psychology and American Studies. As a classroom teacher, Mr. Roddy dedicated himself to improving the lives of his students and peers. 

He then decided that he wanted to become a school administrator, focusing on curriculum and instruction. 

His role as the director of curriculum at PA is his first job as an administrator.

Since arriving at PA,  Mr. Roddy said that  the students and staff have been  “very welcoming and kind” towards him. 

While he misses the classroom experience with his students, Mr. Roddy said he is still making it a point to create connections with students throughout the building in different ways. 

“I think that if I can provide students here as PA with new or different opportunities that they can take advantage of,” he said. “It would really help me with that loss of classroom connections.”