Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Archives

Illegal sports betting seeps into high schools

As the popularity of online sports gambling  continues to rise in New Hampshire, following its legalization in the Granite State in 2019, more and more high school students are illegally turning to DraftKings Sportsbook and Fantasy to place wagers on sporting events .

DraftKings, originally established as a daily fantasy sports platform, has evolved into an all-inclusive application for various sports betting games. Its user-friendly interface and wide range of available games to bet have made it an attractive option for adults.

Although the legal age to gamble in New Hampshire is 18 years old, this hasn’t stopped some students at PA from placing illegal bets using the application. 

While DraftKings requires a user to share their identity and confirm their age through either a social security number or driver’s license,  some students are circumventing this by simply using an older friend or relative’s ID.

A senior male, who spoke on condition of anonymity,  said that DraftKings and gamlbing “makes watching sports more fun.” “I’m going to be allowed to gamble in a couple months anyway, so it doesn’t really matter if I start early,” said the senior.

Some staff member, however, are noticing students using the DraftKings app during school. 

A staff member who also wished to remain anonymous believes that students using the application are taking unnecessary risks. “It’s ridiculous because it’s illegal for most student [at PA],” said the staff member. “It’s a dangerous, slippery slope.”