Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Archives

PA’s unified basketball team shines in matinee

PA+senior+Megan+Connolly+lines+up+a+jumper.+PA+went+on+to+defeat+Merrimack+Valley+54-39.+
Ms. Myers
PA senior Megan Connolly lines up a jumper. PA went on to defeat Merrimack Valley 54-39.

Pembroke Academy’s unified basketball team faced off with Merrimack Valley on Thursday, Feb. 8,  while students from all grades packed the Ed Cloe Gymnasium to cheer the athletes from both teams. 

The game was close throughout the first two quarters, but PA created distance from The Pride in the second half, winning the hard-fought contest 54-39

PA’s Brianna Gokey led the Spartans with 12 points. Nazzik Sayed and Megan Connolly each netted six points in the win, while Megan Cericola, Liz Cericola, and Hunter Miller, Gage Damon, Christopher French, Owen Bond, Allen Foresteire, Emma Weigand, Chloe Elwell, Audry Bishop, and Lilly Richie also contributed in the win.

Typically, Pembroke Academy does not host unified basketball games during the school day but Merrimack Valley’s unified team was willing to make the trip, so school administration determined that the game would be a pep rally, allowing PA students  to cheer on the unified players.

“We were very pleased with how well the PA Community embraced their Unified Team,” said Dr. Morris.