Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Archives

Mr. Moher recollects his glory days on the gridiron

Social studies teacher Mr. Moher is enthused to have his picture taken.
File photo

Before he was the head football coach at Pembroke Academy, social studies teacher Mr. Moher was hitting the gridiron as an offensive tackle for the University of New Hampshire, a D1 college.

In high school, Mr. Moher played at Manchester West High School where he was  an All-State honorable mention junior year and selected for second team All-State as a senior in 2006. He also played varsity basketball in high school. 

Mr. Moher said he didn’t have too many peers who he tried to emulate when it came to football but he did admire some of the college players.  

“David Pollack was a guy who played for the University of Georgia when I was in high school, and he was an All-American and a first round pick for the Bengals. I looked up to him,” said Mr. Moher.

In football, all sorts of athletes can find their place in the sport, which is something Mr. Moher reveres about the game.  

“There are big kids, fast kids, small kids, skinny kids, smart kids and crazy dudes who  run down the field and hit people,” said Mr. Moher.

In college, he was red-shirted his first year, meaning did not play in games but it gave him another season of eligibility. Mr. Moher went to play two years on the offensive line for the Wildcats. 

More importantly, football helped Mr. Moher grow as a person, not just an athlete. “It gave me an identity,” he said.