Scarlett Lewis brings ‘Choose Love’ to PA

Photo credit: Shannon Desilets

On Dec. 20, 2018, Scarlett Lewis gave two presentations for Pembroke Academy (PA) students and faculty. The presentations were held in the auditorium during Period 1.

Headmaster Mr. Famulari introduced Shannon Desilets, a PA alumni, parent and the Governor-appointed Program Coordinator for The Choose Love Movement. Ms. Desilets spoke briefly before passing the microphone over to Ms. Lewis.

Ms. Lewis spoke of the tragic loss of her son Jesse at the hands of Adam Lanza at Sandy Hook Elementary School. However, she also said that she found a way to forgive the shooter.

Senior Kayla Paquin said that the most memorable part of Ms. Lewis’ presentation was one of Jesse’s last messages.

“Those three words — nurturing, healing, love — resonated with me,” she said. “It makes me believe that little kids may know more about ‘love’ skills than we do as young adults and adults.”

According to psychologists, those three words define compassion across all cultures. Those three words were then broken down to create a formula for Choosing Love: Courage+Gratitude+Forgiveness+Compassion in Action=Choosing Love. Those formula components have become the backbone of the lessons used to spread the message of “Choosing Love.”

Ms. Lewis then shared what she said at Jesse’s funeral, which created the premise of the Choose Love Movement: “Change one angry thought into a loving thought everyday.”

Ms. Lewis told students that all of our thoughts affect us on a cellular level. She then showed The Cognitive Triangle, which was developed by experts specializing in cognitive behavioral therapy and essentially says that our thoughts create our feelings and then affect our behavior.

“Choosing Love as a thoughtful response is the most powerful choice you can make,” said Ms. Lewis.

Students responded to the message.

“I think that what Ms. Lewis said was powerful because it made me think a lot about stuff I’ve done without thinking,” said Paquin. “Now I can reflect back on that and I know that I could’ve done some things better.” 

The Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement has recently been added to the newly-released Federal Commission on School Safety, and has been downloaded without charge in the 50 states and 68 countries, according to Ms. Lewis’ presentation.

Junior Allyson Shaffer said that everything Ms. Lewis said was backed by facts and that Choose Love will change lives.

“I’m just happy that Choose Love’s going worldwide because these are skills everyone should know,” said Shaffer. “I’m so glad that Scarlett came to PA for us, and I’m sure that what Ms. Lewis said changed many lives here today.”

Ms. Desilets said that she appreciated how respectful the students were and that she was “deeply moved by the students who came up to speak with us [her and Ms.Lewis] after the presentations.”

Ms. Desilets added that students shared their journeys, their struggles, and their “vision/desire to be part of the Solution.” 

“Their courage shines,” she said.

Ms. Lewis said the choice to Choose Love will “positively impact your life, but through the ripple effect, it can help create a safer, more peaceful and loving world.”

Ms. Lewis and Ms. Desilets encourage all to spread the Choose Love message.