Basement bathrooms closed by administration

Jolene Griffin, Staff

On Oct. 29, PA administration boarded the boys and girls restrooms in the basement of the old building, preventing students from entering.

The signs on the doors read: “Please pardon our appearance while some students work on making better choices.”

The students’ poor choices involved a problem that has become an epidemic at PA: vaping.  

“There were too many kids spending way too much time in there and the incidents were way higher than any of the other bathrooms in PA,” said Dean of Students Ms. Parkinson.

While only a handful of academic classes are held in the basement during an 87-minute period, many students were seen in and out these bathrooms.

Mr. Famulari said that “an unusual amount of traffic” had been coming in and out of the bathrooms.

PA administration took a hard line on vaping in October when Mr. Famulari sent an e-mail to students, staff and parents.

“Pembroke Academy has experienced a substantial increase in the number of incidents involving students vaping on school grounds,“ the email read. “Pembroke Academy administration will notify the police of every vape related infraction.”

Ms. Parkinson said the basement bathrooms will remain boarded as the administration continues to combat the vaping, as well as the vandalism situation at PA.