Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Archives

Poets and ‘Poetry Out Loud’ to visit PA

Abdalla Faiad
The schoolwide Poetry Out Loud competition will be held on Dec. 20 in the library.

On Dec. 11, the PA English Department will host a poetry workshop for students interested in participating in the school’s annual Poetry Out Loud competition. 

The competition requires  students to memorize then perform at least one poem from an anthology and compete against other students in the school. The performance is rated according to deliverance and accuracy of the poem being recited.

This workshop will feature New Hampshire Poet Laureate Alice Fogel,  the British poet Brian Evan-Jones, and head of voice, speech, and text at the National Theater Conservatory, Michael Cobb. 

The presenters will lead students with their expertise and aim to support the students who are interested in competing in the schoolwide Poetry Out Loud competition on Dec. 20.

The winner and the runner-up of this of the competition will advance to the regional round and will also receive a $100 cash prize for first place and $50 for second place. 

The statewide regional competitions will be held between Feb. 13-23. The top three performers of the regional competitions will then be invited to the state competition on March 15 at The State House in Concord. 

The winner of the state competition will be awarded a cash prize and a paid trip to Washington, D.C for the national competition in April with a chance to win $20,000.

English teacher Ms. Gelinas has organized Poetry Out Loud at PA for 18 years and is joined by co-advisor and fellow English teacher Mrs. Ficken. 

¨We have a lot of fun,” said Ms. Gelinas. “There is the element of competition, but students really help to support each other as they build their recitation and performance techniques.” 

Students can sign up for the workshop outside Rm. 1003, or see Ms. Gelinas and Mrs. Ficken with  any questions..