PA prepares to ‘Cut It for a Cause’

Emma Seymour, Staff

PA’s Winter Carnival kicks off on Thursday, Feb. 24. with The Key Club’s “Cut It for a Cause” charity event being held in the gymnasium from  8:30-10 a.m. 

For the Key Club, this will be the 10th time hosting the “Cut it for a Cause” event. Donors must have a permission slip signed by a parent or guardian and turned into club advisors Ms. French in Blanchard House or Ms. Johnson in Rm. 2025 by Tuesday, Feb.22. 

Donors must also have their hair clean and unbleached. They need to have a minimum of eight-inches of hair for donation. 

The hairdresser, Michelle Frost will cut the donors’ hair then it will be mailed to The Children with Hair Loss organization. After their hair is cut, Ms. Frost will finish styling the donors’ hair at no cost.

As of Feb.16, four PA students had signed up for this event, including senior vice-president Allison Miner, who has been growing her hair out since her freshman year. 

Miner said she plans on cutting about 8 to 10 inches of her hair. “This is symbolic for me, and it’s for a good cause,” said Miner.  

Sophomore Lilly Solans, who is also donating,  said that “hair grows back, and this is a really good cause.”

Ms. French took over the organization of the event from her predecessors six years ago and has since donated twice. “It benefits people, and that’s the Key Club’s initiative,” she said. 

The Children with Hair Loss organization has been The Key Club’s choice for hair donation. Ms. French said this due to the fact that the hair is donated free to all children, and unlike some places, Children with Hair Loss only requires eight-inch hair while others require at least a foot.