Behind the scenes of a snow day call

Lacey Duggan, Staff

With winter here, we can expect a few more snow days in future. Many students (and faculty), however, don’t know to protocol for cancelling school.

In the Pembroke School District—which includes PA, Three Rivers and The Hill School—the announcement comes through the One-Call Now system. 

The day starts early for the people who make the executive decision to cancel school. It starts with the officer on-duty and a road agent notifying the superintendents at Pembroke Academy.

The superintendents then call Director of Curriculum Mr. Morris, who records the message that goes out to faculty, staff and parents. He makes the call at 5:45 a.m.

“I usually have to record the message a few times before sending it out to avoid having my dog’s yawns in the background,” he said. 

In the call, he informs the community if it will be a snow day or two-hour delay, and whether the district is calling for a Blizzard Bag or not. 

Some students are annoyed with the fact that only their parents’ get the call, adding that often the students are responsible for getting themselves to school.

Mr. Morris said, however, that it is the district’s first priority to notify the parents of the students because they have a right to know whereabouts of their children and how to plan accordingly.