SB 142 stops stigmas and shame

Samantha Williams, Staff

On July 17, Gov. Chris Sununu signed a bill, sponsored by the Democratic party, that required all public
middle and high schools in New Hampshire to provide free feminine hygiene products in female and gender-neutral bathrooms.

SB142 was inspired by a female student from Spaulding High School in Rochester, who learned her peers weren’t coming to school because they couldn’t afford menstrual products.

“SB 142 will ensure young women in New Hampshire public schools will have the freedom to learn without disruption— and free of shame, or fear of stigma,” said Gov. Sununu in a statement.

Rep. Martha S. Hennessey of Hanover sponsored the bill.

“Being an adolescent is hard enough without the fear and embarrassment of lacking proper care products during the school day because you cannot afford them,” said Rep. Polly Campion, who co-sponsored the bill.

New York and Illinois passed a similar bill in 2018. The bill in New Hampshire was passed one month after Boston approved stocking menstrual products in schools grades six through twelve.

Students will no longer miss class to visit the nurse or stay home due to embarrassment.

Ms. Daigle, the school nurse, said fewer girls are visiting her office this year, adding that the addition of feminine hygiene products in the bathroom helped female students with their confidence.

Senior Marissa Perry said the products are a welcomed addition. “They could be better quality, but they’ve saved a lot of girls a lot embarrassment,” she said.