‘Student of the Month’ chooses love

Student of the Month for December: Autumn Chase

Jolene Griffin, Staff

From tutoring a single student to enriching the culture of an entire school, senior Autumn Chase has done it all.

Last school year, Miss Chase was awarded PA’s “Student of the Month” for March, and this school year she was bestowed the honor again, this time for the month of December.

Students who receive the award play an active role in the community and make worthwhile contributions to Pembroke Academy.

“I didn’t even know that a student could get ‘Student of the Month’ two times in their high school career,” said Miss Chase. “I was more than surprised to say the least.”

In March, when Miss Chase was a junior, she was named the “Student of the Month” for tutoring a senior and making it possible for that person to walk at graduation.

“Being the top of that math class, as well as a teacher’s aid, I was presented the opportunity to take this student under my wing and help them,” said Miss Chase. “I wasn’t going to say ‘no’. That’s just not who I am.” 

This time, Miss Chase went above and beyond to introduce the entire school to social emotional learning (SEL). She has done that with the assistance of one message, “Nurturing Healing Love,” written by heroic six-year old Jesse Lewis before he was murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Jesse’s mother, Scarlett Lewis, who recently spoke at PA, developed the Choose Love (SEL) Program in her late son’s honor.

Since Miss Chase observed Ms. Lewis speak last May at a faculty meeting, she became an active advocate for the program.

And with the inspiration from Ms. Lewis and her son, Miss Chase, with headmaster Mr. Famulari’s permission, has traveled to advisory classrooms with New Hampshire’s Governor-Appointed Choose Love Program Coordinator Shannon Desilets to encourage more students and faculty to live out the message themselves. 

“I want to be part of The Solution and give my peers something that extends beyond the classroom,” said Miss Chase. “Social Emotional Learning skills are a necessity in life, and without them, everything falls apart.”

She added that without SEL skills, people will struggle with deep meaningful connections as well as having healthy relationships.

“I want to make sure that never happens,” said Miss Chase. “I want to help Scarlett prevent another Sandy Hook tragedy by ‘Choosing Love’ myself and helping to give others tools to do the same.”