PA returns to hybrid model…for now

PA returns to hybrid model...for now

Violeta Quiroz-Vera, Staff

As Pembroke Academy students re-entered the building on Jan. 19 after nearly-three months of remote learning, the designated areas for students in each grade to congregate before class seemed quiet and vacant. 

“No one was in class today. It was quiet, very quiet,” said senior Kayla Rossmiller.

Students and parents, alike, are wondering how long students will remain in the building with COVID-19 cases on the rise. 

“I don’t know how long this whole thing will last,” said Penny Young, mother of junior Caleb Young. ¨Cases are on the rise, and I can’t afford to get my child or my family sick. I simply just can’t.”

With grade reports scheduled to be disseminated on Friday, Jan. 29, many students are struggling to get work completed while returning to the hybrid model and a new routine.

“I’m not opposed to remote learning, but I know there are students who need in-person class time,” said senior Morgan Loomis

With COVID-19 cases in New Hampshire still prominent, the possibility that Pembroke Academy students might have to return to school in the full-remote model plausible, if not probable. The number of cases in New Hampshire totals 59,437 cases plus the 728 cases from Jan. 20, making the total number 60,165.

Now, with the new and contagious strain of the virus in Massachusetts and CDC officials warning about the variant, many believe that it will spread as much as the original COVID strain.

“I love seeing [the students] back in the building. Let’s see how long it lasts,” said social studies Mr. Dietel.

Many teachers have noticed that once hybrid learning began again that attendance was poor with the in-person students. 

“My last class had more kids online than in person,” said science teacher Mr. Tong. ¨It’s incredible.”