Super Tuesday proves to be a huge day for Biden

Brodie Chandler, Staff

Super Tuesday is one of the most substantial days in the primary elections. On Super Tuesday, more than a third of all the delegates are up for grabs when the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Massachusetts, Maine, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Vermont and Virginia hit the polls.

On Tuesday, the Democratic narrowed the field of candidates who will face off against President Donald Trump in November.

For former vice president Joe Biden, it was a good day. Biden won the majority of the delegates over his closest opponent Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont. For Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren and former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, disappointing Super Tuesdays spelled the end of their respective campaigns. 

For both staff and students at PA, Tuesday provided a clearer picture of the race moving forward.

“I voted for Bernie Sanders in this election because I felt like he was the best choice,” said senior Colin Platt.

Sanders appeals to many young voters with progressive agendas. Sanders, a democratic socialist, is running on a platform that will increase the minimum wage, federally legalize marijuana and provide Medicare for all.

Meanwhile, Biden attracts a slightly older demographic, focusing on education access, healthcare, and also economic inequality for African Americans.

“I would prefer Biden, because he is more electable, while Bernie scares a lot of moderates,” said English teacher Ms. Paquette.

With Biden having a total of 433 delegates and Sanders slightly behind at 388, the race is still very much in the air.