‘The Guardian’ romanticizes stalking

Autumn Chase, Staff

This summer I learned how to stalk people, get away with murder and steal an identity, all in the name of love and summer reading.

“The Guardian” by Nicholas Sparks is a novel depicting the world’s creepiest love triangle. The story begins after the tragic loss of Julie Barenson’s husband, Jim. Jim had terminal cancer so he left Julie the parting present of a dog for Christmas. Julie named the dog Singer due to his howling tendencies.

After four years, Julie and Singer’s bond was unbreakable, but for those four years Julie remained single. Then she decides to bring men back into her life, and that’s when things get dicey.

As Julie begins her dating spree, she encounters many weirdos. Yet one man stands out: Richard Franklin.

Richard seems to be a stand-up guy but after a few dates with him, Julie decides to end the relationship.

That’s when Richard the Sociopath arrives.

Julie then begins dating her best friend Mike Harris, who also happens to be the best friend of her deceased husband.

Richard doesn’t like this.

It starts with numerous phone calls with no one on the other line—just some, you know, heavy breathing. Julie can’t go to work, bars or relax at home without being watched. While not the world’s greatest date, Richard is an extremely adept stalker.

Then the unthinkable happens.

As a reader who likes suspense and drama, this novel kept me hanging onto the edge of my seat. But as a student who had this novel as a “choice-read” for my summer reading, I wasn’t impressed.

This novel contradicts everything that you’re supposed to learn in school: don’t stalk, don’t kill, don’t lie, be a decent person. If parents knew what this book was about before buying it for their teenager(s), I guarantee that none would buy it. However, if you’re looking for a guide on ‘how to be a sociopathic stalker’, Sparks comes up with aces.