PA progressive with transgender policies

Emmett Duquette, Staff

My name is Emmett, not Megan. No matter what my birth certificate might say, my name is Emmett.

Since I came out as transgender this year, being called Megan is a feeling comparable to a slap in the face, triggering my feelings of gender dysphoria, or the discomfort with one’s own assigned sex.

Needless to say, coming out has presented some difficulties, both socially and emotionally. However, Pembroke Academy and its progressive approach to LGBTQ policies has made a difficult time somewhat easier.

At first, I was unaware my guidance counselor could make a note of a preferred name so that teachers would call me Emmett. This helps me feel more comfortable in the classroom.

I was also unaware of the fact that there are gender-neutral bathrooms at PA, one on each academic wing, another by the gym, and the one in the basement next to the teachers’ bathroom. Not many high schools have gender-neutral bathrooms.  

In addition, many transgender policies are in place for students who experience gender dysphoria. For example, students have the option to change before gym class starts, avoiding changing with other people.

There is also the GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) that helps many students who are LGBTQ+  feel accepted and welcome at PA. After all, PA is a friendly place to be, when people respect each other.

The GSA recently held a day where teachers, students and staff could ask questions of club members. Many people who are not the LGBTQ+ community are afraid to ask questions, for fear of offending someone. Meetings like these are helpful in breaking walls.

While PA is progressive, there is still work to be done.

Not all students are accepting of LGBTQ+ people. I have been given strange looks while awkwardly walking into a girls’ bathroom. I wish that PA would have a day where they explain all the policies and rights of LGBTQ+ students. People should know that being transgender is not a decision made for fun. In fact, it’s not a decision at all.

PA and its students could stand to have a little more tolerance of transgender people, and LGBTQ+ people, in general. It all boils down to The Golden Rule: treat others how you want to be treated.