The fire codes: ‘No big change,’ says facilities director

Gwendolyn Collins, Staff

When PA teachers returned from summer vacation to begin the 2018-19 school year, they saw a number of changes in their classrooms.  

This past summer, with the stringent enforcement of the fire codes, the maintenance staff removed a number of decorative items from the classrooms to ensure that the rooms were up to code and safe for students at the beginning of the school year.

However, there were no new fire codes enforced over the summer, and no new fire chief or fire code inspector put in charge.

“There was no big change,” said Mr. Coughlin, the facilities director for the Pembroke School District. “It just seemed like there was. We do a code check every year. The difference is that this year it happened over the summer.”

In past years, the code enforcement occurred while school was in session, where Mr. Coughlin would walk through the school with the local fire department.

This summer, however, there were two agencies inspecting the school for fire code violations, including an inspection New Hampshire Department of Labor.

“The Department of Labor looks for the stuff no different than our local code,” said Mr. Coughlin.

But some teachers said there wasn’t any warning that the objects would be confiscated and removed, which caused a significant change in the classroom environment.

“I don’t think that people understand what the mood and appearance of a physical space can have on the students,” said English teacher Ms. Williams, who is known for her lamps and the blankets that she provides for students.

Both were confiscated over the summer.

“It absolutely is a detriment to the appearance of a safe, welcoming space,” Mrs. Williams said. “Students are cold, and it is one of the most commented on things from past students. It is harsh and sterile and clinical now.”

For some teachers, the biggest problem with the fire code enforcement was the communication. In the case of Mrs. Williams’ room and the Chemistry moles from the science department, the teachers were either not told what was taken from their classroom or not given the information as to where they could be recollected.

However, Mr. Coughlin said that all confiscated items are still in the building and can be recouped by teachers.

“And we’re really just saying, look, we understand,” Mr. Coughlin said. “I want your classroom to be a homey as possible for you to learn better, for you to be in that educational setting, but it’s not applicable in our setting.”