Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Pembroke Academy

The Spartans Speak

Archives

My advice to my fellow seniors: Enjoy the rest of the ride

The+senior+class+gathers+for+a+photo+at+their+final+Winter+Carnival.+Staff+writer+Michael+Cox+%28front+row%2C+second+from+the+left%29+encourages+seniors+to+savior+it.+
Courtesy photo
The senior class gathers for a photo at their final Winter Carnival. Staff writer Michael Cox (front row, second from the left) encourages seniors to savior it.

As graduation approaches, seniors are starting to prepare for one of the most exciting-yet-challenging parts of our lives.

For starters, after high school, students can look forward to more experiencing freedom in college or careers. While this newfound freedom can be exciting, there is also a good amount of anxiety and a fear of the unknown. Suddenly, some of us will need to deal with finances. Some of us will be leaving our homes and families and losing touch with some friends. 

This can be scary.

When we entered PA four years ago, we were told that high school would go by quickly, and, in the moment, most of us brushed it off. 

Now, as our time at PA comes to an end, we realize that our elders were right, and these four years went by fast.

It is easy in this last stretch of high school to only have the end on our minds. Senioritis sets in, and it becomes increasingly difficult to motivate ourselves to get up at 6 a.m. and work on an English summative, or to stay up late studying for a math test. 

And while the prospect of not having to do either of these things ever again is exciting, part of me also wishes that I could do it all again. I wish I could go back and really appreciate things, like Winter Carnival, that passed in the blink of an eye.

If I had to give a word of advice to fellow seniors for the coming months, it would be to enjoy it. Live in the moment. Don’t just try to get it over with. Appreciate each day we have left. Because once high school is over, we’ll never get it back.