Stress takes a toll on teens

Stress+can+be+potentially+damaging%2C+mentally+and+psychically%2C+if+not+addressed.+

Stress can be potentially damaging, mentally and psychically, if not addressed.

Memori Valentin, Staff

Growing up in today’s society is stressful, and there’s no way around it. From new boyfriends/girlfriends to balancing sports and grades and jobs, teens are expected to be able to do it all, but that’s not how it works. 

“School plays an enormous role in my stress levels currently,” said sophomore Crystal Noel-Nicastro, who is a class senator. “I certainly have days where balancing everything is difficult, but for the most part it’s just an incredibly busy though balanced system.” 

For senior Lorenz Ally, deadlines and bookwork in classes can push him over the edge. “I don’t mind the lessons if they’re hands-on, but since most of them are not I have a harder time learning,” Ally said.  

Even with open campuses, Ally doesn’t believe there’s enough time and resources for students who struggle with learning, which can cause stress. 

“There are not a lot of opportunities for people like me,” he said. “People like me don’t ask for help. Nobody helped us when we were younger, like taking the time to teach us how to read, write, tie our shoes, ride bikes and play games.”

With an abundance of independence growing up, it can be difficult for students to adjust to school’s structured environment, not to mention the pressures some parents place on their kids. 

“They have this idea of who they want me to be and what they want me to do,” said sophomore Daniel Johnson. 

And those expectations cause a lot of stress. “They want me to find any old job and stick with it. They have an idea that a happy life means having everything planned, knowing every move before you make it,” Johnson said. “It’s always resting in the back of my mind, especially as I get older and want to start looking toward the future and what I want to do with my life.” 

Junior Anthony Manville said balancing school and work is another cause of stress. “I can’t just get out of school and go straight to work. I have homework I have to do, and school has to come first,” he said. 

It all comes down to a matter of  “personal priorities,” said Intervention and Prevention Specialist Mr. Batchelder, adding that not taking school seriously won’t eliminate stress. “The solution isn’t to just stop caring,” he said. 

Mr. Batchelder believes the best solution for stressed-out students is to seek out help if they’re feeling overwhelmed.  “There are people down in Blanchard House who can help them if that’s what they are looking for,” he said.

You need to find motivation, explained Mr. Batchelder. Dealing with stress involves figuring out what works for the individual.  Some tricks that help one person manage their stress may not help another person. “But the most important thing to note is that you’re not alone in this,” he says.