New requirements attempt to address parking issues

PA+students+were+assigned+specific+parking+lots+and+numbers+for+the+2022-23+school+year.+

Nikolai Leibovitz

PA students were assigned specific parking lots and numbers for the 2022-23 school year.

Ashley Hoxie, Staff

PA administration instituted a number of changes to the student parking requirements for the 2022-23 school year in an attempt to mitigate some of the problems encountered last year. 

In an attempt to address the issue of students illegally parking, students were assigned specific parking spots in lots according to grade levels. Prior to this school year, students who purchased parking passes were not assigned spots. 

In August, parking passes were issued to juniors and seniors.  The passes were first offered to seniors then juniors had the opportunity to purchase the remaining spots. 

Seniors waited in line beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Aug. 2 where the school issued passes on a “first-come/ first-serve” basis.

“I got there a little later, and the line was already extended out of the door,” said senior Madison Hamel. “It was hot, and it would’ve been nice to have a place to sit.” 

The prices for parking passes were $30 for seniors and $40 for juniors.

Students could also purchase passes to park in the lot at The First Congregational Church for $50 later in the month. Some church parking passes are still available.  

School began Aug. 29, and administration and students alike have noticed  positive results from the changes. 

“I prefer it this way. The only thing I don’t like is how hard it is to get out of the senior lot,” said senior Joslynn Hurley. 

Some administrators agreed, adding that spots have improved  traffic patterns and  reduced the number of parking violations  on campus. 

“From a Main Office perspective, it has been a lot better,” said Ms. Parkinson, the director of curriculum. “Students have generally been positive about the changes when coming through the office. Issues that have arisen have been able to be addressed much more efficiently because we know who is parked where, and who shouldn’t be.” 

At this time, there are no plans to renew the changes for next school year, but the Pembroke Academy Leadership Team plans to revisit the topic. Renewal of these changes will be influenced by a number of factors, including snow removal.