Rising gas prices cause concern

The rising gas prices are causing grief worldwide.

Brooke Robinson, Staff

Imagine pulling into the gas station to top off your car’s gas tank. You swipe your card and pump your gas while taking in the surroundings. Once you hear the gas pump click, you look at the total price on the pump and feel faint.

Gas prices have skyrocketed recently, due in part to Russia’s attack on Ukraine, prompting sanctions on Russia, who produces 12 percent of the world’s oil. This has caused a lack of availability in crude oil,  affecting the supply and demand of gas in the global economy. 

And with the state of the war in Eastern Europe and Russian president Vladimir Putin’s defiance of the world community’s pleas to back down, the price of gas doesn’t seem to be lowering anytime soon.

Students and faculty at PA are feeling the strain of the rising cost of gas as well.

“It is frustrating as a teenager not to be able to afford the gas prices, especially because I work at a low-paying job,” said junior Anevay Stauffacher.

Gas prices are also affecting people’s daily routines.

“I think that the rise in gas prices is insane, the fact that it practically went up $1 a gallon  in a single week is outrageous,” said one senior student. “I feel like I can’t go out anymore and do the things that I need to do in my daily life anymore because I don’t want to waste my gas.”

For faculty commuting, the hit to the wallet is real.

“I live two miles away, so I’m not really affected. But there are people who work here who live pretty far away and have a long commute, so it is impacting some part of it,” said Director of Curriculum Ms. Parkinson 

Dean of Students Mr. Zmuda said that he is trying to limit his number of trips due to the prices. He pointed out, however, that gas prices are affected by more than the war in Ukraine. “They’re always going up for different reasons and because of different factors in the economy,” he said.