Just looking for a place to park

The+PA+parking+lot+continues+to+experience+congestion+before+and+after+school+hours.+

File photo

The PA parking lot continues to experience congestion before and after school hours.

Emily Polsin, Staff

The PA parking lot  is nothing short of a nightmare.  

At the end of the day, the race is on to be the first out of the lot because if you aren’t, it’s likely you’ll be waiting in the congestion of cars until 2:45 p.m. 

(And don’t get me started on the terrible parking jobs by some of my peers.) 

I’ve tried all the tricks: I’ve left class early (that didn’t go well); I’ve sprinted through the parking lot (I don’t like to run); I’ve even just cut people off when they weren’t looking (They weren’t pleased). In the end, it still just takes way too long to get out of the parking lot, and there has to be a way to fix this. 

First of all, I still don’t understand why we can’t have numbered spots. We all bought parking passes with numbers on them, and if those numbers corresponded with where we’re actually supposed to park, that would, at the very least, solve the problem of people parking without paying for a pass.

And not to harp on the entire subject of senior privileges, but I’m starting to feel like the name isn’t accurate. After four tumultuous years, they could at least guarantee the better parking spot to their seniors. 

It would also help if—to be blunt—people didn’t drive like idiots. Please, I’m begging you here, learn how to drive. The fact that some of you passed your driving exam baffles me.

“I almost get hit every time I’m leaving [the parking lot] because people try to cut me off, so I’d say it makes me pretty angry,” said senior Alexis Bouchard.  

It certainly doesn’t help that the majority of the senior parking lot is now staff parking.

The parking lot is one of those subjects that everyone loves to complain about—including myself—but nobody ever does anything to fix. But it doesn’t seem like it would be too hard. 

After most of my high school experience was basically obliterated by the pandemic, I feel like I have earned the right to want to be a privileged senior with a parking place. I’m not asking for a lot. Just a place to park.