I hope Kanye gets help

Emily Polsin, Staff

I’m going to preface this by saying that I’m not a fan of Kanye West. Outside of the fact that his music just isn’t my personal taste—Kanye fans, please don’t attack me—his actions over the years are flat out ridiculous and immature. 

However, I am not here to attack anyone about their struggles with mental illness, nor should anyone make jokes about someone who is clearly not in their right mind. That does not, however,  automatically excuse them for their actions.

If you aren’t caught up to speed, over the weekend, West went on a posting spree on social media dissing everyone under the sun—including singer Billie Eilish, Kid Cudi, his ex-wife Kim Kardashian and her new boyfriend comedian Pete Davidson.

West has obviously experienced a great deal of stress since his divorce with Kardashian, especially once her relationship with Davidson was confirmed (even though West also rebounded with actress Julia Fox).  Since then West has jealously demeaned Davidson on Instagram.

From insulting Davidson, to refusing to let Davidson see West and Kardashian’s children, and even accusing him of dating Hillary Clinton (I don’t understand it, either), West is on a rampage.

West even accused Davidson of taunting rapper Mac Miller with photos of Davidson’s ex Ariana Grande before the rapper’s untimely death in 2018. While there is no evidence this happened, bringing Grande and Miller into West’s drama is despicable. 

Possibly the most problematic post from the weekend was one where West edited the “Marvel: Civil War” movie poster to include his friends and “enemies.” Those on his team were Julia Fox, Drake, Travis Scott, Future and himself. The enemies were, unsurprisingly, Davidson, Kardashian, Kid Cudi, Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish.

The inclusion of Eilish was due to the fact that she gave a fan an inhaler at one of her concerts because the fan was having an asthma attack then said, “I wait for people to be okay before I keep going.” Some people, including West, took it as a reference to the Astroworld disaster, although Eilish never mentioned Travis Scott.

Why did he include Taylor Swift? To sum it up, West, a grown man, started saying awful things about Swift back when she was a teenager and tried destroying her career on multiple occasions. They haven’t had public drama in years, so including her in the post was  random and childish.

West has since deleted his posts and posted an “apology” on his Instagram. 

Kanye West has proven, time and time again, that he will continue to attack people who genuinely have nothing to do with him. I don’t care if you like his music, but supporting him as a person at this point is enabling his toxic behavior.

But I hope West gets the help to address his mental health.

______

Support Student Press Freedom Day on Feb. 24