Survey takes pulse on students’ well-being

Madison McAlpine, Staff

On Dec. 14, PA students took the Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS), which was administered during a 55-minute extended advisory period.

Advisory teachers initially helped students access the survey on the students’ school-issued Chromebooks, and students then answered the questions electronically, as opposed to previous years where the survey was administered on paper. 

The survey contained questions about students’ nutrition, health, substance use and mental well-being. 

Students throughout the state take the YRBS every two years for schools as well as other educators and health officials to determine and prioritize students’ needs. 

“It is one of the only reliable ways to get input from young people about their health-related behaviors in New Hampshire,” said Intervention and Prevention counselor Mr. Bachelder in an email.

The survey is completely anonymous to allow students to be candid in their responses. 

“I guarantee you that the student’s confidentiality is a top priority with this survey,” said Mr. Bachelder. 

At PA, the school counseling department uses the survey to build connections with outside agencies based on the results. The survey is also used to strengthen weaknesses in our student support systems.

“Given the types of questions they ask and what I know about our school, I think it would be less impactful than it would be in other areas [of the state],” said sophomore Gavin Currier, added that “some of the survey questions are certainly relevant and if given the right attention could improve our school.”

Another student, who wished to remain anonymous, said they answered all of the questions truthfully.  “It could help our school, but I think that only relying on survey answers won’t help as much as one might think,” they said. 

They suggested having more discussions at class meetings to better understand all of the issues that students are currently facing.