Christmas movies span the ages

Haleigh Jawidzik, Staff

Christmas is widely celebrated around the world,  and throughout the holiday season, the Christmas movie franchise increases each year. 

Students at PA were likely born between 2002-2005,  and these are some of the most popular holiday movies from the year they were born.

“Santa Clause 2” (2002)

This is the sequel to “ The Santa Clause” (1994). Tim Allen as well as the rest of the original cast return to the set as Scott Calvin (Allen) has taken on the role of Santa for eight  years, and this year he faces some startling news. 

His son, Charlie, lands himself on this year’s naughty list, and Calvin discovers that he must marry by Christmas Eve, which is only months away, or he will not be Santa for the upcoming years. 

According to CNBC, the sequel didn’t earn  as much money as the original, but the domestic box-office gross was $139 million with a budget of $ 65 million.

“Elf” (2003)

Will Ferrell stars in this comedy that follows Buddy the Elf on his  journey to find his real father. 

Buddy is  an orphan who was  mistakenly stowed away in Santa’s sack as infant and raised by elves in The North Pole. Santa allows  Buddy to go to New York City in search of his father and on the way he experiences the realities of the big city.

This has become a modern holiday phenomenon that inspires everyone to find their inner-elf and promotes some positive family values and holiday spirit.

“Polar Express” (2004)

In this Pixar classic, a  young boy embarks on a magical adventure to the North Pole where along the way he learns about the spirit of Christmas through dance numbers as well as a variety of original songs.

According to Houghton-Mifflin Books, “The Polar Express” children’s book was published in 1985, and the movie expands on the storyline.

Tom Hanks has numerous voice roles, and the GGI effects make the characters feel lifelike.

“The Family Stone” (2005)

This is an adult-oriented Christmas movie that follows a dysfunctional family’s hardships during the holiday season.

Meredith Morton (Sarah Jessica Parker) is a conservative businesswomen who tags along with her boyfriend, Everett Stone (Dermot Mulroney) to his family’s annual Christmas celebration. She then discovers that she doesn’t fit in with their free-spirited outlook on life. 

According to Box Office Mojo, there was dissension between critics, but the movie  made more than $92 million box office gross with the initial budget of $18 million.