Homework Haven welcomes all PA students

Autumn Chase, Staff

Each weekday after school in the library, unless otherwise specified, PA parent and volunteer Tara Andrews hosts a program known as the “Homework Haven.”

Homework Haven is a time where students who are struggling to complete their school work can work on assignments and get assistance if needed at no cost to students or parents.

Recently, Ms. Andrews addressed the PA staff in an email explaining the importance of this co-curricular work session.

“Students normally roaming the halls and getting into trouble after school now come to us to do their school work,” Ms. Andrews said.

On days when school work is light, Ms. Andrews encourages students’ creative sides by offering them adult coloring books and educational board games.

The Homework Haven program started when Ms. Andrews’ sons, Charlie and Marshall, were playing football, and there were not enough hours in a day to balance both football and homework.

Ms. Andrews knows that football is a serious commitment, often six days a week, and the players wouldn’t come home until around 7 p.m.

“This left minimal time for homework to get done and as you know, they must be passing their classes in order to participate in sports,” she said.

English teacher Ms. Fontaine offered Ms. Andrews and her children her classroom to use after school where they had access to Chromebooks.

At first, it was only Ms. Andrews and her children, but slowly the group grew, adding more football players.

Due to the influx of students, the library then opened its doors to accommodate to the amount of football players in the “Haven.”

However, Ms. Andrews wants it to be known that Homework Haven is a tool available to all PA students, not just the athletes.

Students attend at their own discretion, although Ms. Andrews says that if parents and teachers wish for their student to be present everyday, she’ll gladly take attendance.

A secondary reason why Ms. Andrews began Homework Haven was because she wanted students to feel cared about. “I started Homework Haven because I wanted most of all to let students know that someone cares beyond the classroom,” she said.

Ms. Andrews wants students to “attain their wildest dreams” and to “think outside the box and keep all options open.”

“Your high school years I consider to be the most important years of your life.  They help to determine where your life will bring you and who you will become,” said Ms. Andrews.

If a student is in need of academic support or someone who’ll listen, Ms. Andrews and her “Haven” is available in the PA library after school from 2:20 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.