NHS collects ‘Toys for Tots’

Madison Hamel, Staff

The National Honors Society (NHS) is collecting donations for the Toys for Tots, a charity run by the Marine Corp that donates Christmas gifts to children whose parents can’t afford them.

NHS will be accepting donations in the front office or Rm. 1017 until Dec. 15. 

There will also be a staff vs. student volleyball game held on Dec. 9 to encourage students to bring in an unwrapped toy or make a cash donation.

NHS at PA has been doing the drive for 13  years. “At this point, I would call it a tradition,” said Mrs. Moher, co-advisor of the NHS.

Senior NHS members Lily Corbitt and Samantha Canning are in charge of organizing the faculty/student event. 

In past years, the girls and boys’ basketball teams would compete against members of staff to help encourage people to make a donation, but this year, they  decided to switch the contest to a volleyball game.

We changed it this year in hopes of getting more participation, and we will include the unified PE class,” said Canning. “During the game, we will be collecting gifts and doing a 50/50 raffle.” 

So far, the community at PA are showing interest in the donation drive, said Corbitt. 

“We’ve had great success in this event in many past years,” she said. “We’ve been encouraging everyone to contribute if possible.” 

Any toys donated need to be suitable for children K-12,unopened, unwrapped and in good condition.