Winter weather brings more driving perils

Marissa Perry, Staff

With the season changing from fall to winter, one might assume that more car accidents will occur. Believe it or not, that’s not completely true.

Statistics show the more accidents happen towards the end of August and on the weekends. 

Then why do people fear the icy roads on cold mornings?

Many sophomores and juniors are inexperienced with driving a car and how to navigate winter conditions on the roads. This can have some serious backlash.

Many 16-year-old students underestimate Mother Nature so they stick to their regular morning routine. To avoid being tardy, they rush to get to PA before the first bell rings. Speeding on Buck Street when the roads are full of slush or ice is incredibly dangerous.

Students may believe they have control of their cars but that doesn’t mean that black ice isn’t hiding under a thin layer of snow.

The tires on the car, and whether it has all-wheel drive or two-wheel drive can also make a huge difference in safety.

Additionally, the combination of bumper-to-bumper traffic and icy roads is a recipe for accidents. 

Car accidents are just that: accidents. No one wakes up in the morning with the goal to damage their car or anyone else’s vehicle. So as the temperature starts to drop make sure your awareness rises. Buckle up, watch the roads and make sure you get home to your family in one piece.