Dress code revisions backfire

Marissa Perry, Staff

Over the years students have had many valid conversations about the dress code at Pembroke Academy. 

Until last year, however, when the dress code in The PA Student Handbook was revised, it was heavily biased, punishing primarily girls. It the source of a lot disagreements and subsequent disciplinary actions. 

Some students believed that administration should not be able to limit students’ rights to self-expression, while others believed the dress code prevented students from dressing inappropriately in a academic environment. 

Those in favor of fewer restrictions benefited when the dress code changed. Now there are barely any restrictions, and the only way a student can be forced to change their clothes occurs when multiple teachers report said student to administration.

But be careful what you wish for.

I am all in favor of self-expression and body confidence, but there is also such a thing as modesty. Having the right to wear what we choose is a privilege, and transparent shirts and tiny crop-tops are not meant to be worn at school. 

The adults are right: it is distracting. It’s disturbing to see young girls walking around an academic institution dressed like it’s the beach, a club or a party. 

Again, being confident and happy is beautiful, and everyone should feel that way, but the majority of the school doesn’t need to see your stomach, backside or bra while working on an essay or an algebra equation. 

There is a time and a place for everything, and with freedom comes responsibility. Students just have to learn when it’s appropriate to be dressed in certain manner.