Students throwback their styles

Jessica Boyajian

More stories from Jessica Boyajian

While the calendar reads 2019, for senior Korah Canney, it’s time to turn back the clock. 

To the 1980’s fashions, that is.

Take scrunchies, for example. First invented in 1963 and patented in 1987—-scrunchies, elastic hair ties with colored cloth—-are making a comeback in 2019. 

Canney said she started wearing scrunchies last year, after receiving some as Christmas gifts from her mother. 

“Everyone else was wearing them, so I just thought, ‘Why not?’” said Canney.

Other 80s trends currently making a comeback include vinyl record players and bell-bottomed pants. 

Sophomore Carlos Conde Jr. said the recurrence of “hype beast shoes” from brands such as Nike, Adidas and Yeezy are also making a reappearance. Other trends include tight jeans, as seen in the 80s, and the sagging pants at the waist-line, seen prominently in the 1990s. 

Many PA students are wearing decade-inspired clothes, and teachers are noticing as well. 

Foreign language teacher Mrs. McCrum has seen the 90s oversized tee-shirt and high-waisted jeans recently. However, she stopped short of labelling these trends as “full-on grunge,” which was defined by band t-shirts, ripped jeans and flannel shirts.

“[The 1990s] makes me feel a little bit nostalgic about growing up,” said Mrs. McCrum. 

While these styles are nostalgic for some teachers, these trends are new and hip to the student body.