Ms. Yackanin: Not just a history teacher

Ms. Yackanin relaxes in a pair of jeans on a Spirit Day

Jolene Griffin, Staff

Traditionally, students brought their teacher an apple. For social studies teacher Ms. Yackanin, she may bring an apple to you.

Every fall for the past 44 years, Ms. Yackanin has worked on Gould Apple Farm in Hopkinton, N.H.

Ms. Yackanin works at the farm one day a week, doing the “pick your own” section. She shows customers where to get their bags, where the apples are located and the various types of apples to pick.

“Customers always ask me what the very best apple is for making fresh apple pie or apple crisp. However, my favorite apples always change throughout fall, from Paula Reds in the beginning to Sweet Sixteens at the very end of the season,” Ms. Yackanin said.

Ms. Yackanin’s apple journey began after dropping out of college in 1976. At the time, Ms. Yackanin decided to work full-time at an apple orchard and even lived in a bunk house on the apple farm.

“It was always freezing cold in the winter and we only had an old leaky wood stove to keep us warm,” she said.

She first began working in the barn at Gould Apple Farm. She would package up apples, level the bins and getting them ready to ship.

Although ownership of Gould Apple Farm has changed since Ms. Yackanin first started working there in 1974, partners Tim and Amy Bassett have made various changes to the orchard over the past few years. The Bassett’s began adding ovens, a hard cider room with different flavors and even apple cider doughnuts.

With the new renovations, Gould Apple Farm has began making both apple pie and apple crisp right there on the orchard.

Ever need advice on picking the best apple, Ms. Yackanin is perfect teacher to ask.