PA students to visit ‘The Land of the Rising Sun’

February 17, 2020

In April, PA students will travel to Japan and spend nine fun-filled days of tours, sightseeing and tasting foreign cuisine. 

Dean of Students Ms. Parkinson is organizing the trip and has been taking students abroad for many years now.

Last year, students traveled to Greece, and the year prior, Ms. Parkinson brought a group of students to visit countries such as England, France and Italy. 

Ms. Parkinson said she is excited for this year’s trip to “The Land of the Rising Sun.”

“I have never been to Japan, and it is one of those places that I always wanted to visit, since I first saw ‘Big Bird in Japan’ at 8 years old,” she wrote in an email. “I always loved teaching about Japan and Japanese culture  so this trip seems like it has been a long time coming.” 

The flight to Japan is the estimated 15 hours. While in Japan, students will be many guided tours to shrines, temples, pagodas and other memorable locations around Tokyo. They will also visit Japan’s cultural capital, Kyoto. 

Ms. Parkinson said students need to brush on some cultural differences between The United States and Japan, paying particular attention to the Japanese emphasis on respect.

“They need to know how to say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ and they need a general understanding of cultural norms,” said Ms. Parkinson.

Last year, the EF group received so many compliments for their behavior abroad.

“I would love to see that tradition continue,” Ms. Parkinson said.

The Spartans Speak • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in